0 SteveMule: Elvis' B-Day and he's still dead

Saturday, January 09, 2010

Elvis' B-Day and he's still dead

Yesterday was Elvis's B-Day. I know this because when I got to work the local radio station was playing a lot of Elvis' music. I have no idea how old he would have been today and I don't really care. Nevertheless, it was his B-Day and everyone who listened to the radio was constantly reminded of it and ... for me it got old real fast.
When I'm work I turn the radio off. During my shift (11PM - 7AM) it plays "Classic Rock Hits" from the 80's. A lot, not all, but a lot, of the music of the Eighties was crap. It was crap then and it's still crap. Yes, some wines get better with age, but most just turn to vinegary piss water. So it is with the hits of the Eighties. How Elvis fits into "Classic Rock Hits" of Eighties is any one's guess. I think he died before 1980 but I might be wrong. If my memory serves me right I was still with 101st Airborne when he died and I didn't leave the division until the summer of 1979 so I think he missed it by a few days at least.
Regardless of all that, I have to listen to the radio until all my co-workers leave. They like having the radio on. I can't stand it. But, I know how pissy they'll get if I turn it off so I just tune it out until they're gone.
On most nights they leave shortly after I arrive. On Fridays and Saturdays I have someone with me until either 2 or 3 in the morning. I listened to a lot of Elvis last night. What gets me is all the young people that were singing along while they were standing in line at the cash register or by the deli-bar while I making their sandwiches. Them: "In da ghetto ..." Me: "What type of cheese would you like?" Them: "... In da ghetto .. uh? What?" Please note that I think that "In the Ghetto" was one of the stupidest ass songs that was ever inflicted on the music listening public, but never mind that for now.
My co-worker finally left and I turned the radio off and got to work doing the things that I need to: clean the store, cook breakfast, get everything ready to go for the next day and ... still deal with whatever the Knuckle Head Parade brings in to the store. Thankfully the cold weather has put a damper on that; to some extent, at least.
Another reason I turn the radio off is the mindless, retarded banter of the DJ. He says his name is"Fry" and he tries so hard to come off as some super cool, with it, dude that I have to wonder if he isn't really some fat, balding slug that just sits in his booth in California, or wherever, pushing buttons or whatever. "Fry" goes off at 4AM and that when the "Jim-Bob and Billy Big Show" comes on. I'm sorry, I know that this show is one of, if not the, most popular morning radio shows in America and all but ... For me the show is a non-stop, redundant, exercise in stupidity masquerading as humor.
Anyway, it was Elvis' B-Day yesterday ... and today, tomorrow and forever he'll still be dead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home